Nov 23rd, 2009
By Connie Moreno
Thanksgiving is hands down my favorite holiday! There’s nothing like sitting down with your loved ones to share, give thanks and stuff your face until you slip into a food coma. This is also the perfect time to try a fancy, new recipe and show off your cooking skills! So, what’s on the menu this year? Share what you’ll be making this Thanksgiving and include a recipe if you’d like. Here’s what I’ll be bringing to our Thanksgiving gathering:
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
from The Healthy Cooking Coach
6 medium to large sweet potatoes:
red garnet or jewel yams, or Beauregard sweet potatoes
1 orange or tangerine
2 to 3 teaspoons finely grated ginger
1/2 cup chopped, toasted walnuts, pecans, almonds, or pistachios for garnish
Directions: Read More
1. Zest (finely grate) the ginger root and set aside.
2. Preheat oven 400? F. Scrub and rinse sweet potatoes. Pat dry but do not peel. Remove soft or black spots. Arrange in a shallow baking pan with sides. For ease of cleanup, line pan with parchment. Do not cover. Do not add water.
3. Bake small to medium (6 to 10 ounce) tubers for about 1 hour or until soft and juicy; larger ones may take 1 1/2 hours. If possible, turn them over halfway through cooking.
4. When cool, slip off and discard skins. Mash with juice from 1 orange or tangerine, and ginger zest.
5. Spoon into an oiled heat-proof dish. Warm in a preheated 300? F-oven or toaster oven for 15 to 20 minutes before serving. Top individual portions with oil, butter, or nuts at the table.