Feb 13th, 2012
By Mike Minium
Jenn finishing off one of her ten bar muscle-ups
What a weekend of competition at the Sac-Town Throwdown!
First the quick summary…
For those keeping score at home, here is where each of the three teams finished in the competition.
Masters: 8th Place
Open: 21st Place
Novice: 22nd Place
The Masters team members were CPeak, Marc, Jade, Jenn, and Lance.
The Open team members were Candace, Tamara, Brandon, and Wale.
The Novice team members were Hyo, Katie, Aaron C, and John P.
There were lots of great moments, but here are some that really stood out, in no particular order.
- John P battled his way through 250 double-unders. Double-unders were his goat coming into the competition. I don’t think he can say that any longer.
- The Masters team finished in 5th place among all Masters teams in the really, really long Quadtathlon, where each member did a 1-mile run, 75 burpees, 250 double-unders, and a 1600-meter row. That’s not divided up among the four team members; each team member did all that stuff! This performance was what got the Masters team to day two. Their final time was 36:02, and they were one of the few teams to finish under the 40-minute cap.
- Jade carried the team in the Quadtathlon. She finished her events in the workout so early that she would run out and pace her teammates on the run. And to top it off, she got her first dead-hang pull-up.
- Candace and Brandon ran roughshod over a 10-minute AMRAP version of Helen that involved 800m stationary bike sprints, 21 ground-to-overhead with 45-lb/30-lb dumbbells, and 12 chest-to-bar pull-ups. They ended up with the second best performance of all Open teams!
- Tamara had to get gritty on the Quadtathlon workout, battling her way through a 1-mile run, 75 burpees, 250 double-unders, and a 1600m row, in that order. Yowser!
- Marc powered his way through 13 snatches at 135 lbs in 3 minutes.
- Katie PR’d in the snatch by 20 lbs!
- Hyo and Aaron got their first pistols, and then got 4 more in the gymnastics skills competition, having never done them before.
- Wale powered his way through 75 brutal burpees after blasting the mile run.
- CPeak made his muscle-up look like a piece of cake.
- Lance went beast mode on the tire flips and rope slams.
- And last but not least, Jenn powered through ten bar muscle-ups in the final workout of Sunday, beating two of her three male competitors along the way (she was the only female doing the muscle-ups). Strong work!
Due to the Masters team’s strong performance in the Quadtathlon and consistent performances in the other three workouts on Saturday, they qualified for the final on Sunday, which consisted of two rough workouts. Only 8 teams made it through to the finals, and they grabbed that 8th-place spot by 1 point–clutch!
The first Sunday workout was a 400m car pull, where all four members pulled a police car around the track. The car had four ropes on it and each person pulled one of them. All the teams were game and this was a tight race from top to bottom. When it was all said and done, Team CFO finished in 7th place on this workout at 2:32, just 1 second off of the 6th place team, CF Nor Cal.
The second and final workout on Sunday was a team relay race, where each member did a couplet of exercises and then tagged the next person. Marc did squats and toes-to-bar, Lance did rope slams and tire flips, Jenn did sandbag thrusters and bar muscle-ups, and Jade finished the relay with overhead walking lunges and box jumps. There was a 25-minute cap on this workout, and only 4 teams made it under the cap. CFO finished up 6th place overall in this workout, with Jade nearly finishing box jumps as the clock hit the 25-minute mark. So close!
There was a ton of hard work on display this weekend, and I can’t wait to see people get after it when the CrossFit Open starts up at CFO in 10 days!Read More